The vision and purposes of the Dag Hammarskjöld Youth Leader Training:
- Promote Mr. Hammarskjöld’s visions of world peace and development and his example as an international civil servant for the young generations of today and tomorrow to carry on his legacy.
- Strengthen the capacity and preparedness of young leaders from around the world, facilitate bridge building and further the values of Courage, Integrity and Compassion as well as the notion of Global Citizenship and International Solidarity. As well as to further the work and progress of such projects along with the three main pillars of the United Nations: Peace and Security, Sustainable Development and Human Rights.
- Produce two academic products for pedagogic instruction and research basis.
- Inspire continuous involvement and contribute to create a boundless network that will serve to strengthen young leaders and the work for world peace and sustainable development, not least through the ‘Dag Hammarskjöld Youth Leader Alumni Network’ which the participants and secretariat become a part of upon finishing the training.
- To become a world renowned and first class training platform for youth leadership.
We firmly believe that the most sustainable method for the safekeeping of peace and development is to invest in future generations’ education and thought. If one wants to change the world one had better start with those who have yet to be moulded by it.
Together with the House of Peace, Uppsala university and the Municipality of Uppsala, the DHY Secretariat wishes to provide the world with a recurring platform that; in the memory of our city’s foremost international hero, shall facilitate bridge building between young leaders from around the world and advance their capacity as good leaders of today and tomorrow. Further contributing to this small but great city’s tradition of producing peace heros.
We hope, more broadly, that this project will inspire continuous involvement and contribute to create a boundless network that will serve to strengthen the global UN-movement, not least through the ‘Dag Hammarskjöld Youth Leader Alumni Network’ which the participants becomes a part of upon finishing the training. Furthermore, by raising Mr Hammarskjöld as a good example, we wish for the participants and the public to look out over the world, and with the same determination as Mr Hammarskjöld, face the challenges confronting humanity.